The state government is mulling over making e-rickshaw a viable transport option in Bhubaneswar. Once approved, rickshaw drivers can obtain a special license from the RTO in order to run the vehicles commercially.
Here are some facts related to the e-rickshaw service:
- The service is already operational at SCB Medical College and Hospital, Cuttack and Nandankanan Zoo.
- These battery-operated, four-seater rickshaws will now plying on the city’s arterial roads with a speed of 25 kmph.
- These rickshaws do not need any diesel, petrol, LPG or CNG.
- The e-rickshaws are zero emission means of transport for passengers and are equipped with a different design and superficial technical features with an easy drive, as there is no clutch or gear attached to it.
- The e-rickshaws require eight-hours of the charging, after which it could run for around 80-100 km/per hour.
- The body, tyre controllers, motors and engines of the e-rickshaw are Indian made and one e-rickshaw will cost around Rs 1 lakh.
Courtesy: Odisha Diary